If you would like your breasts to be fuller and shapelier, breast augmentation can give you the outcome you want. There are a range of breast implant options to choose from, and surgical techniques are safer and better than before. But if you are interested in breast enhancement, how can you know if you qualify for a breast augmentation.
Breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty is a surgical procedure in which implants are used to enlarge the breasts. Silicone and saline breast implants are the usual choices, and they are available in different shapes, textures, and sizes. Breast implants are made of biocompatible substances, and are extremely safe.
Do I qualify for a breast augmentation?
Although breast augmentation is a very popular procedure, not everyone is a good candidate. While each patient is different, there are some factors to consider when determining if breast augmentation would be a good fit for you.
5 signs you qualify for a breast augmentation
- You would like to restore the pre-pregnancy size and shape of your breasts.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding often alter the volume and shape of the breasts, and can cause the breasts to shrink and look deflated. If you have tried diet and exercise, but your breasts have not returned to the size they were before childbirth, breast augmentation may be the right option for you.
- You would like to correct asymmetrical breasts
Women often choose to undergo breast augmentation to correct breast asymmetry. Asymmetric or uneven breasts can be fixed with breast augmentation. This may involve augmenting one or both breasts. The choice will depend on the severity of the breast asymmetry.
- You have naturally small breasts that you would like to enlarge
If you are naturally small-breasted and are unhappy with your breast size, breast augmentation can give you the larger, curvier breasts you desire. Women with small breasts often experience feelings of low self-esteem, or feel self-conscious about their appearance, but having breast augmentation can be a positive life experience.
- You are in a good psychological state and have realistic expectations about the procedure.
Although breast augmentation can boost your overall well-being, it’s necessary to approach surgery with the right mental attitude, as this will improve the healing process. Also, patients that have realistic expectations going into the procedure, are more likely to be satisfied with their results.
- Have a financial plan to pay for surgery. Cosmetic breast augmentation is an elective procedure, so it is not usually covered by most health insurance plans. It’s therefore crucial to have a financial plan in place to cover the cost of surgery. It’s always useful to discuss the costs and fees with your plastic surgeon.
With regards to age, candidates for breast augmentation must be 18 years and older to qualify for saline implants, and 22 years and older to qualify for using silicone implants.
An ideal candidate for breast augmentation should also be in good overall health and a non-smoker. If you do smoke, your surgeon will ask you to quit a few weeks ahead of surgery. Candidates that are in good health tend to have fewer post-surgical complications, so they heal a lot faster.
Is breast augmentation right for you
Although you may qualify for breast augmentation, only you can determine if it is the right option for you. Therefore, before proceeding with the procedure it is always a good idea to:
- Do your research: Breast augmentation is a popular procedure, so there is a lot of information available about it. Take the time to do the necessary research, so that you understand the breast augmentation options available.
- Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that regularly performs breast augmentation: Getting the expert advice you need, can go a long way in helping you decide if you may be a good candidate for breast augmentation. The surgeon will review the procedure and weigh the pros and cons of surgery with you, so that you can make an informed decision.
If you are in the eastern South Carolina area, contact Nirvana Plastic Surgery in Myrtle Beach, SC for a consultation.
Call 843-839-2004 today to schedule a consultation.